ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATE (EPC)
HOME > ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATE (EPC)
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) Training
Buildings of over 2000m2 in the private sector, and above 1000m2 in the public sector, are now required to display an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) in the building’s foyer, and these need to be updated every 5 years.
This course addresses the requirements for EPC’s, the related standards that need to be taken into account, how to do the calculations and what information is required for assessment to have an EPC issued, as well as the various custodians of the EPC and the processes to follow.
This one day course is ideal for facility managers, energy managers, consultants, owners of buildings who need to understand the EPC standard and related standards to complete the required information necessary to issue an EPC for a building.
The background and reason legislation, documentation overview that relates to the EPC such as the building regulations, the national energy act, relevant standards, with their objectives and application. Reviewing the sites and buildings that are mandated to display EPCs, categorisation of buildings, owners’ responsibility, and accreditation bodies. The general details of energy performance assessment, timelines of legislation and enforcement, linking EPC to policy, implementation around the work, definitions and calculations of aspects such as floor areas, existing buildings, assessment periods, caloric values and meter calibration.
The chapter on energy usage covers boundaries, types of fuels, data collection, utility bills and their use for energy performance, types of meters, proof of metering, metering calculations and types of occupancy. The certificate will be discussed in depth, with the various energy performance scales and what they mean, explaining the content of the certificate, notable required information, and determining reference performance.
The building standard SANS10400XA and how it ties in with the other standards, calculation reference energy usage, climatic regions, building classifications, hot water, new vs existing buildings, design assumptions for new buildings and their consideration in existing buildings, building envelop requirements looking at orientation, external walls, fenestration, roof assemblies, floors and insulation.
The energy performance assessment process is discussed step-by-step, acquiring the services of a SANAS accredited body for EPC, submitting the relevant information, and issue of the building’s EPC.
The course concludes with duties of the facility manager and building owner, how to acquire the services of an accredited person, with exercises and examples and preparation of a practical assignment with the option to have it assessed.
This course has been developed by the Institute of Energy Professionals Africa (IEPA) trainers and EWSETA assessor and moderator, for presentation by training partners such as the Southern African Energy Efficiency Confederation (SAEEC).
- 30 November 2023
- 31 January 2024 (EPC) 1.5-day training)
- 19-20 March 2024 ((EPC) 1.5-day training)
This is a one and half day course though we recommend you continue with the voluntary test and practical assignment for submission to an EWSETA assessor for final assessment. This is NOT included in the course cost and you will be able to book directly with IEPA once you completed Step 1 (Training Days). You will be invited to a information session after the training day.
We recommend you buy the SANS1544 and SANS10400 XA from SABS
Accreditation / Steps recommended
- For 90% and higher attendance: Attendance Certificate with 1 ECSA CPD
- Voluntary Examination pass with 70%: Certificate of Achievement with Statement of Results
- Successful Assignment (voluntary) through Accredited Assessor: Certification as an EPC Practitioner
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Bookings accepted for residents in South Africa only. You may be redirected to your country-specific training partner.
- You will be invoiced by IEPA as an SAEEC member with the related going deals – please keep your SAEEC membership number handy.
- AEE Remote exams will incur an additional R1,500-00/USD75 cost and will be considered upon request.
- Bookings close 10 working days prior to start of the scheduled training.
- Bookings are considered confirmed when a PO is received, or payment in the bank.
- Payment and Service Delivery Terms and Conditions are strictly adhered.